top of page

Carlton House, Pall Mall

 

Inscribed ‘Plate 19, Vol.6. Carlton House. No.34 of R.ACKERMANN’S REPOSITORY of ARTS &c. Pub. Oct 1 1811, at 101 Strand, LONDON.’

 

Carlton House was the London house of the George, Prince of Wales, later Prince Regent and George IV for several decades from 1783 until its demolition in 1826-7. It was situated on the south side of Pall Mall  and the gardens at the rear ran south to St. James's Park.  During his residency the Prince carried out extensive restorations, many designed by the architecture Henry Holland including the symmetrical building front and the screen of ionic columns seen here.  The two storey building had a rusticated stone facade and a central Corinthian portico which served as a porte-cochère where carriages would alight. The Royal Arms can be seen on the pediment.  The screen of paired ionic columns in front of the building  are broken by  two pedimented entrances.to create an enclosed courtyard and at the sentry boxes outside soldiers were stationed. 

 

 

Carlton House - Framed Antique Print

SKU: 1171
£150.00Price
  • Image Number: 1171
    Title: Carlton House
     

    Publisher: Rudolph Ackermann, Repository of Arts, 101, Strand, 
    Medium: Aquatint and hand-coloured engraving

    Date: 1811

    Framed size (h x w): 303 x 450

bottom of page