top of page

From Thomas Hosmer Shepherd’s series London and its Environs in the Nineteenth Century (London : 1829-1832). Steel line engraving on paper. Later hand colour.

Artist Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (1793-1864)

Engraver: Major Samuel Barenger (1776-1837)

Publisher: London, Jones & Co., 1831.

 

An antique steel engraving of nineteenth-century Aldersgate Street showing Shaftesbury House. Shaftesbury House was built in 1644 by Inigo Jones and was originally called Thanet House. Here it is the first London general dispensary.  Other shops include John Smith & Son, tea-dealers, at number 36, C. Nunn & Co., linen-drapers at 35, and Spooner & White, cheesemongers at 34.

 

In 1826, the publisher Jones and Co. commissioned the artist Thomas Hosmer Shepherd to produce a large number of drawings to illustrate the changing landscape of central London. This new urban landscape, much of which was designed by the architect John Nash created stately streets and elegant houses. Shepherd would sketch on the spot in the street and then work up finished wash drawings at home in his studio in Chapman Street, Islington. These watercolours could then be engraved on steel by a number of professional engravers in this case by H.W. Bond. Accompanying descriptions of the streets and buildings by the architectural critic James Elmes explain some of the decorative details. 
 
 

Shaftesbury House, Aldersgate Street, Thomas H. Shepherd - Framed Antique Print

SKU: 1018
£50.00Price
  • Item Number: 1018
    Title: Shaftesbury House, Aldersgate Street  
    Artist: Thomas H. Shepherd
    Engraver: Major Samuel Barenger (1776-1837)
    Publisher: Jones & Co
    Medium: Steel Engraving
    Date: 1831
    Framed size (h x w): 290 x 329
  • To find out more, arrange a viewing or to purchase please email traceryprints@gmail.com or get in touch via the contact form 

bottom of page