top of page

Warwick House

 

The original house was built in the 1660s during the reign of Charles II when it had three storeys. By the time of this print there were only. The young Prince of Wales (later Prince Regent, then George IV) bought the lease Warwick House in 1792 for £12,000, characteristically borrowing the majority of the sum to do so. At this time John Nash was carrying out extensive rebuilding works for him at adjacent Carlton House and the Prince was buying the leases of as many of the adjoining houses as possible. 

At first the building was used by members of the Royal Household including the Master of the Horse, the Earl of Jersey whose wife was a close companion of the Prince. Between 1805 and 1817 it was the residence of Princess Charlotte, the only child of the Prince and Princess of Wales. Her Governess, Cornelia Knight described the house as 'an old moderate-sized dwelling, at that time  miserably out of repair, and almost falling to ruins'. (Autobiography of Miss Cornelia Knight, 1861, vol. 1, p. 199. Though the Princess had lessons there she seldom lived there and never after her marriage, when she took up residence at Claremont in Surrey. After her tragic death in childbirth in 1817 the house reverted to use by the Royal Household. It was demolished in 1827 the year after the demolition of Carlton House and the site was cleared for the erection of Carlton Mews. 

Warwick House - Framed Antique Print

SKU: 1162
£80.00Price
  • Item Number: 1162
    Title: Warwick House: The Residence of Her Royal Highness, Princess Charlotte of Wales
    Medium: Aquatint & Etching
    Date: 1811
    Publisher: Rudolph Ackermann's  Repository of Arts &c. 

    Framed size (h x w): 312 x 236mm

bottom of page